Apparently it’s love your veggies week. First it was kale, now it’s veggie pasta.
I was looking into buying a spiralizer so I could turn veggies into “pasta”, but all of the spiralizers I found online seemed to be space sucks and with a 500 square foot apartment and more than my fair share or kitchen accessories, the last thing I need is a drawer space hog.
Luckily, I was reading Oh She Glows and stumbled across her post on spiralizing vegetables without a spiralizer. The key? A Zyliss Julienne Peeler.
I immediately hopped on Amazon and ordered my very own peeler (you can find them on Amazon here ). It arrived yesterday and, because I’m impatient, I immediately put it to work and made this-
The peeler obviously worked like a charm and fits in the same drawer as my other utensils. I highly recommend getting a Zyliss if you don’t want to take up the space that a spiralizer does.
Oh, and here’s the recipe! It’s super easy and super quick.
Zucchini and Squash “Pasta” For One
Time : 15 minutes
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (divided)
1 link sweet Italian Chicken Sausage, cut into rounds
1 medium zucchini (~ 7 inches)
1 medium yellow squash (~ 7 inches)
3/4 cherry tomatoes quartered
red pepper flakes to taste
1 tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese
- Use Zyliss peeler or a spiralizer to cut zucchini into “noodles”.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon olive oil over medium-high heat
- Add chicken sausage and tomatoes and cook for about three minutes until heated throughout.
- Add remaining olive oil, zucchini and squash. Cook for about 3 minutes or until zucchini and squash begin to soften.
- Lower heat and add red pepper flakes to taste.
- Remove from heat, place in bowl and top with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!