Since joining the family last July, Rosie has been a regular over here at Eat, Sweat, Smile (she was featured in this morning’s post!), so it was only a matter of time before I devoted a recipe to her. After a less than stellar attempt to make good for you “fried” chicken (it ended up a bit soggy), I decided I didn’t want to put my all Whole Foods organic chicken breast to waste (that’s like throwing money away), so I decided to make Rosie some treats from scratch.
After doing a bit of internet research and assessing the ingredients I had on hand, I put together the canine cookies recipe below.
Rosie LOVED the treats-she kept staring at me and barking (she is very demanding)-so I hope your doggie does too!
Rosie’s Canine Cookies
2 cups organic baked chicken breast (cooked a little drier than you would if you were to eat it)
1 cup whole wheat flour and additional flour for dusting surface
1/2 cup corn
3/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Process chicken breast in food processor until it is finely ground.
3. Add flour and continue to process until combined.
4. While processor is running, add chicken stock and process until a dough has formed.
5. Add in corn and pulse until it is combined.
6. Generously flour a flat surface and separate dough into two large pieces.
7. Roll dough flat with rolling pin. The dough might be a little sticky, so add additional flour to the dough if necessary.
8. Using a small glass or cookie cutter, cut dough into pieces and place on baking sheet.
9. Bake treats for 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
10. Cool fully on baking rack.
11. Serve to your pup and enjoy!